AstroCurrents for July 2008: Part One - Focus on Discrimination, Nostalgia, Self-Expression, Security
The Astrological events listed below will affect us all, regardless of your sign.
“I don't care how much power, brilliance, or energy you have,
if you don't harness it and focus it on a specific target, and hold it there,
you're never going to accomplish as much as your ability warrants.
-- Zig Ziglar
July 1 Mars enters Virgo until 8/19
Mars here is very methodical, practical and logical. This is a time when you are strongly inclined to differentiate between what works and what doesn't work; between what is healthy and what is not; and what is useful and what is pointless. So by using your powers of discrimination, common sense and reason, this is a perfect time to get a handle on many aspects of your life. And once you have done the necessary analysis of a given situation, Mars in Virgo can provide the focus and perseverance to stay with things so you can accomplish the development of ideas and systems to build foundations to support you as time goes on.
Here are some ways to utilize and best use what Mars in Virgo can offer:
- Look carefully at how you manage your time and organize your day.
- Ask yourself “What is the best use of my time now?”
- Get more efficient; get rid of clutter and then set up systems that work
- Get together a thought out plan for whatever project you are involved in, whether personal or professional
- Be discerning and discriminate, discard what pulls you off track of your goals
- Look at the things that cause you stress in your life to see what could be done to eliminate at least some of them.
Mars is called the “activator” of the Zodiac because of its energizing power. And when it enters a new sign (which is about every 7 weeks) it activates those things ruled by that sign. And so now our focus turns to the things ruled by Virgo. To give you the heads up, it is often the case that some problem or issues arises in these areas initially, which then makes it clear the need to take action and/or make some changes.
Those areas ruled by Virgo that may start “talking” (or even yelling) at you during this time are:
- Health regimes, diet, nutrition
- Your daily routine, habits and agendas; how you organize and spend your time
- In the body the areas most likely affected are:
- The stomach (acidity can be a real issue during this time)
- The nervous system~feeling anxious or panicky is possible now
- The mental~the mind is active, we can think too much, not being able to stop incessant thoughts, overwhelm is also possible
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.” ~Mark Twain
There are some things to be careful of during this time, such as:
- Avoid being judgmental or critical as this can be a tendency during this time.
- Multi-tasking is likely to produce less than satisfactory results now. Stay focused on one thing at a time.
- Avoid spicy or heavy food, especially at night or if you have a sensitive stomach.
To summarize, Mars in Virgo is a great time to pull aspects of your life together through careful analysis of the situation, then eliminating what aspects of it aren't working, or perhaps even hindering progress. Next, taking the necessary steps to get more organized and create new plans and regimes to support you in reaching your desired goals. Keep in mind that this can apply to any area of your life, whether personal or professional.
“No one has the right to consume happiness without producing it.”
July 2 New Moon at 11?32' Cancer at 7:18 pm PDT
During this New Moon there is a strong focus on home, family and the foundation of your life. Emotions run strong and deep as your moods could change on a dime. Keeping domestic peace is critically important now as those around you could be feeling vulnerable. Emotions and feelings are also close to the surface. Venus opposite Jupiter is good for showing those you love that you care. Also, this is good for entertaining with friends and family, improving your home or just relaxing. Nostalgia is in the air as memories of days gone by are triggered easily.
Some ideas as to how to best use these energies are:
- Plant seeds and do those things that nurture your family and bring joy to your home. And remember they don't have to be elaborate—keep it simple!
- If you are feeling flustered or ineffectual, a key now is to de-clutter and strive for greater order (re-read Mars in Virgo above).
- Try to be extra careful what you say, and how you say it as others may be feeling ultra sensitive or moody now.
July 5 & 6 NOTE: There will be a beautiful conjunction both nights, just after sunset, of the Moon, Mars and Saturn. Be sure to check it out!
July 10 Mars conjunct Saturn at 5?25' Virgo
This can be a disruptive and difficult influence that can create conflicts due to the totally different natures of these two planets. Such as: will and force vs. the established ways and structures; bold, impulsive actions vs. slow, controlled ones; beginnings vs. endings. The thing to watch out for here is being reactive, judgmental and/or critical. There is a tendency to be nit-picky or negative under this influence. It is best to use this energy toward something constructive such as organizing, de-cluttering, working on projects that require paying attention to detail and perseverance and creating order in some way or in some area of your life. In short, if you don't find a focus for the energy present now, this may be a time where you find yourself dealing with issues that could have been avoided.
One more thing-be extra careful with your diet now as this can cause digestive issues that can be avoided by being discriminate. This aspect is in effect of the few days before and after it occurs.
July 10 Mercury enters Cancer until 7/26
During this time that Mercury is in Cancer, it is easier to connect your thoughts to your feelings, helping to make expressing yourself and how you feel more effortless. You may find that you are feeling nostalgic during this time, as you turn back your internal clock, pulling up events of yesteryear and perhaps thinking about what might have been. We are most impressionable now, as images are as much a part of our mental process as thoughts.
Here are some ideas as to how to work with, and not against, the strong emotions you may be feeling now:
- Do a collage as imagery is a powerful tool now.
- Look through old photos, or put together a new photo album.
- Have heart-felt conversations with others who share some of your memories.
- Cook up a favorite family recipe.
- Take a Lunar bath or spend time in Mother Nature.
Spend time with children, telling them stories of when you were young. And be sure to listen to what they have to share as well!
July 12 Venus enters Leo until 8/5
While Venus is in Leo, we want to find ways to express ourselves artistically or creatively. Things that we feel most passionate about come forward. This may be photography, art, fashion, music, dance, theater, gardening, sports or anything that brings out our creative and fun sides. We are drawn to the beauty of the outdoors, as nature shows her glory this time of year.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."
One other thing about Venus moving into Leo~this can help to generate enthusiasm during this time of strong Cancer influence (which is not really known for this). A little fiery energy now will be a welcome thing for most. Your projects and plans could get a creative and energizing boost now. The kid in you is inviting you to come out and play! Under this influence you are seeking ways to lighten up and enjoy life~and to find joy in just being yourself.
July 18 Full Moon at 26?04' Capricorn at 12:59 am PDT
This Full Moon is a part of a yod aspect which can create a feeling of destiny in the air. This is likely to be related to the responsibilities of home and family and how you balance the two~or perhaps make clear the need to bring more balance to them. The role that tradition plays in your life is a key to fulfilling your purpose and may be something you find yourself thinking about now. Focus on building a more secure future in some area of your life.
Full Moons can increase the tendency to be pensive and reflective, and so here are some good questions to ask or consider during this Full Moon:
- Am I hearing and responding to the call of my own destiny?
- Am I honoring my responsibilities and fulfilling my agreements and obligations?
- Am I tending to those things in my life that I care most about and that offer me a sense of belonging and security?
Here are some ways to tune into and utilize the energies during this Full Moon:
- Those older than you hold keys and offer important perspectives.
- An aspect to Uranus can bring insights in creative and unusual ways.
- Reacting childishly won't get you anywhere. Be the sane, mature voice in the group.
- Avoid moodiness by doing something for someone else.
Check out Cancer Trait's in Monthly Transit Talk (MTT), where I talk about the influences on us all of the Sun in Cancer from June 20th until July 21st
The Sun's entry into the sign of Cancer brings a time of celebrating the Life Force as it expresses in, through and around us. The Light is strong and vibrant as the longest day of the year arrives and is a testament to the strength of the Sun's life-giving and sustaining energy. We are now reminded that the Light triumphs over darkness. It is a time to plant your own seeds of the life you are wanting to create in the next cycle or phase of your life, and then to nourish those seeds through this life-giving season.
The themes that arise and get our attention during the Sun's annual 30-day visit in Cancer are: your home and family, your foundations in life, children, what nourishes you and how you extend your nurturing to others. Emotions and feelings are strong now as you seek to express your need to love and be loved. And to belong…
Also be sure and read previous AstroCurrents because there are many astrological influences from last month and previous months that are still in effect.
Now continue on to read > July AstroCurrents: Part Two
Sending you Blessings and Light,
Looking ahead to July AstroCurrents: Part 2, here are some of the celestial events I will be discussing (be sure to send me an email if you would like to be notified as to when the new AstroCurrents is up):
- July 22 Sun enters Leo at 3:54 am PDT
- July 26 Mercury enters Leo until 8/10
- July 26 Mars trine Jupiter retrograde at 15?17' Virgo/Capricorn
- August 1 New Moon/Solar Eclipse at 9?31' Leo at 3:13 am PDT
© 2008 by Elizabeth Jones. All rights reserved. Feel free to forward this article onto others, but please do so without change or alteration, and giving credit to Elizabeth Jones and StarPathways.com.